After this past weekend’s heatwave, it’s finally starting to feel like summer. The nice weather probably also has you ready to take off for that much-needed summer vacation. Before you leave home, there are some important steps you should take to ensure a safe and relaxing journey:
- Stop mail, newspaper, and other deliveries. Nothing advertises you’re away from home better than an overstuffed mailbox or a driveway covered with newspapers. Be sure to contact the post office and other delivery companies to arrange for a vacation stoppage.
- Make arrangements for pets. If you’re leaving behind your pets, make arrangements with a pet sitter or kennel. Since summer is the busiest time for vacations, you’ll want to make your pet’s plans well in advance of your trip.
- Set lights on timers. To guard against potential burglars, be sure to set lights on timers, so others will think the home is occupied.
- Unplug electronics. Before you leave home, be sure to unplug any electronics from wall outlets, such as televisions, stereos and appliances. If you have these devices on surge protectors, switch the power off.
- Give a family member or neighbor a key. It’s always a good idea to give someone you trust a key to your home in the event that something should happen to the home while you’re away. Avoid leaving a key under the welcome mat or other obvious places.
- Call First County Bank before you leave. To ensure you receive uninterrupted debit card access, call our CustomerFirst Contact Center at 203.462.4400 to let us know your travel plans.
Once you follow these simple steps, there’s only one more thing to do – relax!