Please join us in collecting non-perishable food donations during the month of October for The Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County. Last year, food drives provided one-third of all the food distributed by The Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County, Inc. Through the efforts of local businesses, schools, churches and clubs, the organization helped feed over 200,000 individuals in the community.
The Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County provides food to any qualified non-profit agency in a six-town area which includes soup kitchens, homeless shelters, food pantries, child day care centers, after school programs, senior centers and rehabilitation programs.
In Fairfield County, a family of four needs an annual salary of about $71,000 to avoid being “food insecure,” i.e. lacking reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food. Often, the working poor only earn Connecticut’s minimum wage, and many choose between eating nutritiously or paying the rent. Therefore, they obtain food via food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters that are member agencies of The Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County, Inc.
Food Insecurity in Connecticut
- 13.9% of Connecticut residents are food insecure and 6% are very food insecure
- Only 51 students participate in free and reduced price breakfast for every 100 in lunch.
- Only 53% of the eligible working poor participate in the SNAP (food stamps) program. Many go to food pantries instead for food.
- Over 700,000 Connecticut adults are living below the Federal poverty level.
- Over 118,000 Connecticut children are living in poverty.
Now through Wednesday, October 31, First County Bank will serve as a donation center and we encourage the community to bring in canned goods, boxed goods and other non-perishable food items to help stock the shelves.
Will you be a part of the change and #BankonEndingHunger this October by donating to The Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County? Please stop by one of our branches to bring your non-perishable food items now through the end of October.
For branch locations visit: https://www.firstcountybank.com/branch-hours-locations-and-directions